Friday, December 5, 2008

Flea Market Selling - Is it Still Profitable?

flea market. HEY HEY. Pictures, Images and Photos

About 10 years ago, I sold some collectibles at a local flea market. Business was slow and everywhere around me I heard the word "ebay" floating around. So, I decided to forego the flea market junket and sell only on ebay. I did pretty well for quite awhile but have recently noticed that ebays fees have risen so high that they're taking a good 8% of my sales in fees. Not so fun when you spend hours photographing, describing, listing, packing, driving to the post office, filling out customs forms, and also paying Paypal fees because you no longer want to wait for personal checks to clear the bank.... and on and on.

I will be trying my hand at flea market selling again this Sunday. Let's hope people will be shopping for holiday gifts this weekend - buying gently used items - sort of like "recycling" as it were.

I'll keep you posted....

1 comment:

Writelike said...

I love the idea of selling stuff on eBay, but like you I found it wasn't worth it in the end with all the fees. However, now is the right time to do it with the holidays coming up!