Monday, May 4, 2009

Mother's Day - What Does She Really Want?

Don't Toss My Memories in the Trash-A Step-by-Step Guide to Helping Seniors Downsize, Organize, and Move

I recently read the book "Don't Toss My Memories in the Trash - A Step-by-Step Guide to Helping Seniors Downsize, Organize and Move" by Vickie Dellaquila. She has some great tips for what to buy senior citizens for gifts (birthday, holiday, Mother's Day, etc.). I would like to quote some of those here as I believe they are great ideas for Mother's Day which is coming up this Sunday, May 10th.

Buy gift cards for a restaurant, coffee house, spa or beauty parlor, afternoon tea, taxi ride, errand or cleaning service, car wash or oil change;

Pay for an hour or two of a professional organizer's time;

Give tickets to the theatre, a sporting event or lecture or tickets to the movies with friends;

Pay the registration fees for a class at a senior center or community college;

Buy stamps, soap or stationery; or

Pay for cleaning or cooking services.


Thank you Vickie for this great book which has helped me immensely when dealing with senior clients and with my own parents.

1 comment:

Pam said...

Thanks for the ideas, Wendy. I was going to send my mom flowers, but decided to get her a Target gift card instead...even found one that looks like a bunch of flowers!

I wish she would let me pay for a cleaning service. I have offered many times, but she is concerned that they wouldn't be able to work around all her stuff. Wish I lived close enough to help her get a bit more organized.